Pages

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Homemade Peach Iced Green Tea

I loooooooove green tea. It's so comforting and its umami flavor is grounding when you're feeling a little anxious. I love it iced. I love it hot. I love it room temperature, really. I just love it.

(Speaking of anxious, tea has a potent amino acid, L-theanine, which is a natural anti-anxiety compound. That's why even when you drink caffeinated tea you feel relaxed and have no caffeine jitters.)

With my love for green tea, I was knocking back generous amounts of Arizona Decaf Green Tea from the grocery store, but that stuff is loaded with sucralose, which is not something I want to put into my body in large quantities. Instead, I started buying the expensive stuff from Whole Foods, but it had caffeine in it. I'm not a big fan of caffeine either.

What's a girl to do? Make her own.



Peach Iced Green Tea
2 cups hot water
4 small green tea bags (or decaf in my case)
2 cups cold water
1 peach, diced

Directions:
Boil the water, pour into container. Let it cool for 2 minutes.
Toss the tea bags into the hot water (not boiling). Let them steep for 2 minutes. (Green tea is delicate and does not need to steep long.)
Remove tea, toss in peaches.
Store in the fridge overnight, remove peaches next day or drink it all!

PS. For those who want to know, it really is important that the water is not boiling and that it only steeps 2-3 minutes. I've heard lots of people say that they don't like green tea, but they're usually treating it like black tea and as a result are both scorching and over-steeping it.

No comments:

Post a Comment