Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Get Started with your Gluten Free Diet


People are curious about my diet. It's probably because I'm vegetarian and gluten and soy-free. (Reid would say that I don't have a food pyramid but a food-puzzle. Sometimes I would agree with him.) Recently a friend asked me for advise on how to go gluten-free. Here are the suggestions I gave her, and would give you if you're starting on a GF diet:

#1) Plan your meals around rice and corn. These are inexpensive and entire food cultures, like Asia and Latin America, are dedicated to these grains. That's a lot of people eating mostly rice and corn - you can do it too! You won't feel like you're going without when you're stuffing enchiladas down your pie hole.

#2) Add in some Gluten Free essentials. I personally cannot imagine living the rest of my life without bread, pasta, or an occasional cookie. I'm sure you can't either. Experiment with products from your local health-food store. I'm lucky to have Sprouts, Whole Foods, Central Market, and Sunshine Health Foods all within 10 miles of me. If you don't have one of these stores near, look online. I've listed some resources below. 

#3) Keep it to yourself. If you live with other people, this is essential. Gluten-free foods are expensive compared to conventional foods. Keep them to yourself! Label them, just buy enough for you, cook your own pasta in a separate pot. You get the idea. 

#4) Have fun exploring. Although at first it may seem like a big hassle, hopefully you'll soon be excited that you get to learn a new way of eating. And the most exciting part, it doesn't cause you pain. (Cause why else would you do this diet?!) In the resources, I list websites that are either dedicated to the GF diet or have a good GF filter. 

#5) Buy Xantham Gum. Just spring for it. It lasts forever, and is absolutely essential to GF baking. When  you can make a GF king cake or batch of cornbread. You'll be happy that you had it!

#6) Be picky. Welcome to the world of being a picky eater. To protect your health you absolutely must read food labels, eschew questionable food, and ask waiters tons of questions. You also may have to send food back to the kitchen. It's a pain, but it's less of a pain than a hurting stomach.

#7) Tell everyone. Tell all of your friends because they'll want to cook something special for you. You can help them too. Offer to bring a side or small main dish so that you'll have something to eat. Tell the waiter, tell the hotel where you're having a a business lunch, tell the wedding coordinator, tell the party hostess. They'll feel badly if you show up and can't eat anything. With a little preparation, your needs can be met and the party can go on without a hitch.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! Could I ask, why no soy? I have heard so many conflicting things and I value your perceptions.

    Much love,
    Nannie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I'm awfully slow at replying! I can't eat soy because of a personal allergy. I don't think it's unhealthy at all unless you have estrogen problems, as excess can mess with your estrogen levels. Otherwise, it's a low-fat high-protein bean...can't get better than that!

      Delete